Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Friday the 13th and On

So we had a bit of a crazy day on Friday the 13th. Started normal enough, headed out bright and early to the beach for the day. We were only there about an hour when I had the misfortune of stepping on a sting ray! I don't know if everybody knows what a sting ray barb looks like but it's basically a small serrated sword that injects poison.....perfect. Medieval beast of the sea. So he whipped that bad boy out and lanced me with it, and I proceeded to experience the worst pain of my life! Also I think he hit a vain or something because the blood was gushing!! I hobbled up to the beach with Naomi's help, and luckily this had happened to my little brother before (at the same beach actually!), so my mom knew that heat was the only thing that helped the pain. They started filling up bags of scorching hot beach sand and pressing it on my foot while I struggled with life. Finally we got me in the front seat of the truck with my foot in a cooler full of hot water for the drive over the mountain to town, where we stopped at a pharmacy for a shot of painkiller. My foot had stopped bleeding during the drive, but as soon as I stepped out of the car in front of the pharmacy, and a whole street full of people waiting for the bus, the hole in my foot started spurting blood again. Like squirts shooting out all over the place!! Ohhh the looks of horror! People were concerned that us being gringos thought that a pharmacy was good enough for this issue and one guy told my dad that we should go to the hospital! Pharmacies here are great, we just walked in and the doctor gave me a shot of this kick ass painkiller and sent me home.  And on top of that there was an earthquake in the capital that the whole country felt (luckily it was a deep one and didn't cause any damage) and a lightning storm that night that knocked out our power for a few hours, and our phone and internet for a few days! Arg





Here are some photos of Rocio and Naomi making "Pan Casero" a typical little spiral bread thing...


Here I am doing some staining on the bedroom unit...first coat!


Here I am wizarding some math skills into Adrian.  He comes over every afternoon to work with Naomi on his math (and then gets to use the computer!)






The Garden is coming along, we've got some greens planted and built a bamboo support for the cherry tomatoes. I found this little Fer de Lance in the wood pile just chillen', don't worry only the most poisonous snake ever. Off with his head! Below is a shot of a super sketchy kids' ride we spotted in San Isidro....wish I could have seen it in action to watch it shake!!





Pura Vida!!


No comments:

Post a Comment