| At the waterfall |
Well, it has been a very eventful couple of days for us! Yesterday, we hiked up the river to the waterfall with Sarah, Kyle, and the four dogs. The two big dogs did great, and the two little ones (after a few times of carrying across/”gently throwing” across the river) managed really well. We woke up to sun, so got on our way early before the rain came in the afternoon. It takes us about an hour to walk up the river to the waterfall, with lots of rock jumping and river wading. The pool has changed a lot since Isaac and I were here last, and even more since Isaac was little. Him and his brothers used to be able to jump off the top of the waterfall, into the pool. Now, when you stand directly at the base, you can pretty much touch the bottom. The hike up was beautiful, and the water is so lovely to swim in. We arrived home happy and tired, and the dogs were out for the rest of the day.
| One pooped pup |
This morning, I was up bright at early at 6:30 to go with Rocio to milk the cow. I thought this was going to feel very early, but I soon realized that the rest of Quizarrá has already started their day by 6:30. Pancho, for example, was out sharpening his knives, and getting ready for the pig (whom I met in the back of the truck) to be slaughtered. I'm giving Isaac the pleasure of explaining that adventure, because he took all the pictures while I peeked out from behind him! But back to milking the cow, it was so cool! It was tricky for sure, but I was able to fill a small cup up, and Rocio told me I was doing well for my first time! Now, Rocio on the other hand is basically a professional. She has been milking cows since she was 6, and in the time I filled up my small cup, she had filled 3 jugs! I plan to continue this early morning ritual, and she is happy to have my company!
By 10 o'clock, we had milked a cow, hid while the pig was being killed, and then witnessed the whole butchering process from start to finish. I felt so productive!
| All our fruits and veggies |
We headed into town, because the farmer's market in San Isidro happens every Thursday and Friday. We loaded up on delicious fruits and veggies, and a few tamales (yum!) We also ran into Isaac's very good friend, Miguel, and his mom Linda. Isaac and Miguel went to school together for Grade 4-6 in San Isidro, and were best friends during those years that Isaac and his family lived on the farm.
| Papayas |
We've been putting Koda in his kennel when we go into town (so far only twice), because we just aren't sure that he won't go off looking for us. I know eventually it won't be a problem, and he'll stay here with the other dogs, but he willingly goes in his kennel (which is amazing after his flight down), and this way we can be certain that he won't go on his own little adventure. The rest of the time, he is as free as when we met him, and sleeps right outside the screen door, so he can stare at us when he wants to. He follows us at the hip the minute we step outside, and seems to be playing more and more with the other dogs. We actually have a pack of 5 dogs - there is a stray called Fierra who decided that the galerón (a shed type building where the truck gets parked) is her new home. She won't come up to the house, but she spends her day lying on the driveway, and magically appears for every meal time. She is very sweet, and very scared, but we're hoping she will come around.
Well, after Isaac's shocker of a post, this might seem dull and boring, Isaac is currently making fun of "all my words," but I think it's exciting! Oh, one last note, we bought some chicken wire today, and will be buying 3 or 4 chickens from Rocio's brother who has a bunch!
Buenas noches,
Love Naomi
Hola Canadienses loca!
ReplyDeleteIts great to see that you've got enough to eat down there. I'm writing this from Toronto at a chilly -6 C degrees. Here we only get about 45mins of sunshine per day, and we have to eat sushi because the heat required to cook food is too expensive, what with the global oil crises. That's ok, I'm getting pretty good at disguising the ice fishing hut for a secret spy- academy, and having all kinds of interesting visitors pop in...
Anyhow, it looks like you've got plenty of food at your fingertips: cow-teets, papayas, chickens, pigs and even 5 dogs... sorry bad joke.
I miss you guys, and would really love to come down and visit if its in the cards. Are you still planning on spending the whole year down there?
Thinking of you beautiful people! Good luck with the coop!
Luke
Hi Luke! Thanks for your message, we miss you too! And yes, yes, yes, we plan on being here for the year, so PLEASE come and stay! We would love that so much. Stay warm, and we'll be in touch!
ReplyDeleteLove Isaac and Naomi
Naomi and Isaac!
ReplyDeleteGlad the snake bite was just a scare, and happy to hear that you're wearing the gumboots now, I'm going to invest in some before I head down there! Mike says he will too. he he. I just wanted to comment that I very much liked the contrast between both your posts. I love the very cut and dry "pig post" by Isaac with excitement over the insides being dropped into a bucket, and I love the lovable and excitable Naomi posts as well. (very cute, and descriptive!) I have been reading this blog out loud to mike and greg and we're always entertained and jealous of your adventures thus far.
Mike's two cents "sounds delicious, I want to eat that pig"
love you guys,
see you soon
Michelle and Mike