Sunday, 6 March 2011

Snake Food

Not that impressive
We've had our first (and hopefully last) snake bite of the trip! And when I say we, I mean Isaac. Yesterday, on our way up from the river, we ran into what we think was a Road Gaurder snake in the middle of the path. It was one of the few times when the dogs were behind us, and now we will send them first (not to be mean, but you know...). Isaac was first, and the next thing I knew I was staring at this huge (it was at least 1 inch in diameter, and maybe a meter long - think rattlesnake size) brown snake swirling at Isaac's feet. Of course, I started screaming, Isaac realized what was happening, and he did a little snake dance.

Koda and his new friend
 Koda walked right into the snake next, before it scooted off into the woods. I had a mini melt down, and Isaac managed to stay calm, bless his heart. We checked his feet, and sure enough on the back of his heel we found two little bleeding marks where the snake had bit him. We flipped through the snake book to see if we could figure out what type, and talked to Rocio. She said that if it was a Road Guarder, not to worry, and the fact that Isaac clearly wasn't feeling poisoned was a good sign! We both wore our gum boots to the river today.

Milking the cow with Rocio

My mom and dad arrived yesterday! It's so nice to have them here. They'll stay with us for 2 weeks, before heading home. Koda has made friends with the stray, Fierra. I guess they have stuff to talk about! More cow milking has us up nice and early, and Isaac has started his plans for the mini skate ramp behind the shed. So much fun!

                    
                                                             Love Naomi

The river

1 comment:

  1. Hi Naomi...Lins here. Your pictures are so cool. Looks like an interesting place. That's a crazy story about the snake! Eeek! I'm glad Isaac was okay. What would you have done if it was been poisonous?
    Maybe you can teach me and Sarah to make cheese when you come home? I've read about making cheese, I think it's super fun that you got to! Take good care of yourselves, hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete